Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Katniss's depression in Mockingjay is subtle, but very present. I remember reading Mockingjay as a teen and not noticing Katniss's depression because as a reader and fan of the series, I was caught up in the excitement and wonder of wanting to find out what happens next. One place where Katniss's depression felt especially present was during one of her early interactions with President Coin, President of District 13. Coin has been ensured that Katniss will "act" as the Mockingjay for their rebellion, but Katniss is over it. Peeta has been captured by the Capital and Katniss, confined to district 13, doesn't have much to do/work toward. She is at the mercy of President Coin, yet bargains with her. She proposes an ultimatum. She demands immunity for Peeta, being allowed to hunt, getting to keep Prim's cat, and her killing Snow. She proposes an ultimatum without much care or thought. She doesn't care about her own safety. She just wants to seek vengeance and protect those she loves. 

As she's thinking about her list of demands for President Coin, the following occurs:

"The headache's coming on and my thoughts begin to tangle. I shut my eyes and start to recite silently. My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me. Peeta was taken prisoner. He is alive. He is a traitor but alive. I have to keep him alive... The list. It still seems too small. I should try to think bigger, beyond our current situation where I am of the utmost importance, to the future where I may be worth nothing. Shouldn't I be asking for more? For my family? For the remainder of my people? My skin itches with the ashes of the dead. I feel the sickening impact of the skull against my shoe. The scent of blood and roses stings my nose."

I think readers of the Hunger Games, me included, forget the Katniss is 17 years old. What she is experiencing would be atrocious and tremendous stress for any adult, and she is still an adolescent. Early on in the books, we start to view her as this girl on fire, she can do no wrong, she is brave, she is the hero, she is strong, a fighter, but we forget she is still a child. We don't think about how all of this is affecting her. You can see in the passage above evidence of PTSD and depression. She thinks of a future where she is worth nothing. She remembers each and everyone of those who died. Reading Mockingjay through the lens of trying to identify Katniss's mental illnesses really changed the way I view the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"A Time to Talk" by Robert Frost - Digital Poetry Interpretation

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Lessons from History / The Digital Divide