Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression by Sally Brampton

Before I started writing this, I looked up Sally Brampton, the author of this memoir, to see what she was up to. I found out that she passed away in 2016 from what is thought to have been suicide. This isn't what I originally plan to write about, but after learning of her death, I was shocked. I think learning of her death really solidified for me that depression is a true disease. Sally did everything she was supposed to do when you have depression. I'm not quite done with the memoir, but so far she had tried countless medications, went to various therapists, and had worked hard to get better during her multiple stays in psychiatric hospitals. She was resisting using alcohol to numb her depression, had safety plans in place for when she felt bad, and had close, supportive friends. She talked about how she utilized meditation, exercise, and therapy to combat her depression. Despite doing everything "right," she still lost her battle. Depression is just like any other potentially fatal disease with which you can take medication or receive treatment and still pass away. I guess I sort of knew this, but hearing that it happened to Sally, who I felt like I got to know through reading her memoir, is upsetting. From the memoir, you can tell that Sally was an amazing, introspective, unique person. She wrote beautifully about her life and her depression. Throughout the book, she mentioned repeatedly how one of her anchors that kept her strong was her young daughter. I'm sad to learn that Sally passed away. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"A Time to Talk" by Robert Frost - Digital Poetry Interpretation

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Lessons from History / The Digital Divide